We will ensure that our staff are familiar with various assistive devices that persons with disabilities may use while accessing our products and services.
When communicating with people with disabilities, we will take their disabilities into account. We will train staff on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
Accessible formats and communication supports
Fidelity will, upon request, provide or arrange to provide accessible formats and communication supports for Fidelity information. We are committed to providing or arranging to provide Fidelity information in a timely manner, taking into account our customers’ accessibility needs.
We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone service to our customers. We will train staff to communicate in plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
We will offer to communicate with customers by other mutually agreed-upon means if telephone communication is not suitable or is not available.
Use of service animals
We welcome service animals in all parts of our premises that are open to the public, unless excluded by law. If we cannot identify that the animal is a service animal, we may ask the person to provide documentation from a regulated health professional.
People with disabilities who require a support person are encouraged to bring that person when meeting with our staff. In certain cases, we may require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person for health or safety reasons. In doing so, we may
- consult with the person to understand their needs
- consider health or safety reasons
- determine whether there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others
If it is possible that financial or confidential matters will be discussed, written consent for the support person to be present may be required to protect the privacy of all individuals involved.
Notice of temporary disruption
If there is a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities – for example, if elevators are temporarily unavailable – Fidelity will notify customers promptly. Information will be prominently posted at the entrance to our offices and, depending on the nature of the disruption, on www.fidelity.ca. Posted information will include the reason for the disruption, anticipated time for resolution and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Training for staff
Fidelity will provide training to all employees, volunteers and third-party representatives who provide goods, services or facilities to customers on Fidelity’s behalf. This training will be provided to staff as part of orientation training.
Training will include
- an overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the requirements of the customer service standard, where applicable
- instruction on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- instruction on how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- guidance on what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Fidelity’s products and services
- instruction on how to use the equipment or devices available on Fidelity premises to provide products and services to persons with disabilities
- a review of Fidelity’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard
Staff will also be trained on changes made to our accessible customer service plan.
Modifications to this or other policies
We are committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. No changes will be made to these policies before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
Feedback process and questions about this policy
The goal of this policy is to enable the provision of excellent service for customers with disabilities. Customers who wish to provide feedback can do so by phone, mail, fax, email or other accessible means, upon request. Complaints will be addressed in accordance with our regular complaint management procedures.
Fidelity representatives are available to speak to you from
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST,
Monday to Friday.
Toll-free: 1 800 263-4077
Telephone: (416) 307-5200
Fax: 1 800 387-8092
TTY: 1 800 855-0511
483 Bay Street
Send us a message at FICCustService@fidelity.ca