A handy list of the most common forms, receipts, and numbers you’ll need to prepare your 2022 income tax return

The annual ritual of preparing for and submitting your income tax return isn’t one that we usually look forward to, but it will go more smoothly (and could potentially be rewarding) if you have all your information and documentation ready in advance. To make the process easier, we’ve compiled a checklist of the things Canadian taxpayers most commonly need at tax time.

From Canada Revenue Agency

  • Your previous year’s Notice of Assessment (in this case for the 2021 tax year). If you can’t find it, sign in to or sign up for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account service. This free portal will give you access to a personal web page that records all your correspondence and transactions.

From your files

  • Last year’s completed tax return. It may not be necessary, but it can help you locate numbers that prove your identity in communicating with the CRA, as well as remind you how you reported income and deductions in the past.

From your employer(s)

  • T4 slip(s). This is the most common tax slip documenting not only your income but also tax and other deductions at source as well as non-cash benefits.

From the federal government

  • T4A slips cover income from government programs such as Employment Insurance and COVID-19 relief if you accessed them, as well as income earned by independent contractors.

From financial institutions

  • Various official tax slips such as T5, T3, T5008, etc. These are typically amounts such as interest, dividends, and capital gains earned from investments held in non-registered accounts.
  • Official RRSP contribution receipts. You will likely receive separate receipts for contributions made in calendar 2022 and in the first 60 days of 2023, so make sure you have them all. Check with your financial institution if you haven’t received yours yet.

From not-for-profit organizations

  • Official charitable donation receipts
  • Official political contribution receipts from political parties or candidates

Unofficial receipts for eligible expenses

  • Out-of-pocket medical expenses like prescription drugs, dental and vision care, and physiotherapy (this is only a partial list of some common examples) may be eligible for a non-refundable tax credit with certain conditions.
  • If you earned self-employment or business income– for example, from gig work, small business run as a sole proprietor– you may deduct self-employment or business expenses incurred to support that activity. Some common examples of eligible business expenses include office rent, advertising, supplies, travel, phone and internet service, repairs and maintenance, use of a car, and use of (part of) your home for the business activity.
  • Employees may be able to deduct work-from-home office expenses, such as work-space-in-the-home expenses, office supplies, and certain phone expenses. There is also the temporary flat rate method which applies to eligible employees working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. With this method, you can claim $2 for each day you worked from home in 2022 up to a maximum of $500.
  • Childcare and adoption expenses
  • Post-secondary tuition and interest on student loans
  • Moving expenses (if you relocated to start a job and moved at least 40 km)
  • Digital news subscriptions
  • Financial documentation around a home purchase and/or sale. First-time home buyers are eligible for a tax credit.
  • Exam fees for professional certification

Note for the 2022 tax year the First-Time Home Buyers’ Tax Credit and Home Accessibility Tax Credit amounts have increased.