Tax Tip - Filing your taxes on paper

Source: Bassano Times, The

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) strives to help millions of Canadians with different personal situations to easily understand and manage their taxes. No matter how you decide to file, the CRA is committed to making sure you get the benefits and credits you're entitled to. Income tax package delivery, if you filed on paper last year, the CRA will automatically mail you the 2021 income tax package by February 21, 2022.

The package you will receive includes: a letter from the Minister of National Revenue and the Commissioner of Revenue, the Federal Income Tax and Benefit Guide, a provincial or territorial information guide (except for the province of Quebec), two copies of the income tax and benefit return Form 428 for provincial or territorial tax (except for the province of Quebec), File my Return invitation letter and information sheet, if eligible for the service, personalized inserts or forms, depending on eligibility, a return envelope.

If you haven't received your package by February 21 or need publications or forms not included in it, you can: view, download, and print them from, order them online at, order them by calling the CRA at 1-855-330-3305 beginning January 18, 2022 (be ready to give your social insurance number).

It's important to file on time Remember to file your income tax and benefit return by April 30, 2022. By doing so, you will avoid interruptions to any credits or benefits you may be entitled to, such as the Canada child benefit, goods and services tax /harmonized sales tax credit, child disability benefit, and guaranteed income supplement.

Since April 30, 2022 falls on a Saturday, your return will be considered filed on time if: the CRA receives it on or before May 2, 2022; or it is postmarked on or before May 2, 2022.

Online services are fast, secure and convenient It is easy to make sure your tax information is up to date! To save time, you can easily update your personal information using My Account or the MyCRA mobile web app. If you move or change marital status, it's simple to let us know.

Besides updating your information, you can also view: what you owe to the CRA, your TFSA and RRSP limits your benefit and credit information, the status of your return, your notices of assessment (NOA) or reassessment If you're looking for the fastest and easiest way to do your taxes, file your taxes online. You should also sign up for direct deposit and My Account early to get your refund faster and avoid any delays.

Our service standard is to issue your notice within two weeks of receiving your digital return. Due to COVID-19, the CRA may take 10 to 12 weeks to process paper returns. The CRA will process them in the order they are received. Canadians who file electronically and who are signed up for direct deposit may get their refund in as little as eight business days. Last year, the CRA received over 91% of tax returns electronically. By filing electronically you can receive quick confirmation that the CRA has accepted your income tax and benefit return.

Several NETFILE certified software products are available, some of which are free. Go to to see the list of products. NETFILE is fast, easy, and convenient. If you're registered for My Account, you can use Autofill my return to quickly fill in parts of your return with information the CRA has on file. You can also use the Express NOA service to view your notice of assessment in your software, right after your return has been received and processed by the CRA. Other ways you can file Get free tax help If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, volunteers at a free tax clinic may be able to complete your tax return. Free tax clinics are available in-person or virtually. Find out about the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (or the Income Tax Assistance - Volunteer Program in the province of Quebec) by going to File my Return If you have a lower or fixed income, you may be eligible to use File my Return. This service will let you file your return by answering a series of short questions through a secure, dedicated, and automated telephone service. If you filed a paper return last year and are eligible to use File my Return, you'll receive an invitation letter with the 2021 income tax package sent by the CRA. Starting February 21 2022, you can use File my Return to quickly file your return by phone.

How to get more information If you need a quick answer to a question, you can ask Charlie the friendly chatbot. Charlie will help you find the information you need to file your income tax and benefit return! You can find Charlie on the CRA homepage and many of our other web pages on

You can also view our filing your income tax and benefit return on paper page for specific information.


This article was from Bassano Times, The and was legally licensed through the Industry Dive Content Marketplace. Please direct all licensing questions to